Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cairo

This place is huge. And crazy. And wild. Holy crap. Temperature: 70 degrees, sunny. Density: 44,521.9 people/sq mi (NYC is only 27,532/sq mi). Gas is only .96 Egyptian pounds and the conversion rate is currently at 5.8 EP/$1: You do the math.

Traffic is insane. Wall to wall cars and buses and trucks and motorcycles. No order; complete mayhem. So far the Egyptian people have been over the top friendly and nice. I came out of the terminal like a deer in headlights and was immediately helped by a tourist police officer who even let me use his personal cell phone to call my resident director! And boy are there a ton of police. They are everywhere! There must be thousands upon thousands in all different sectors. Occasionally they are just sitting on the side in a little hut! My family better really research their stuff before they come here, the airport is crazy. Getting around seems like a nightmare. Hopefully in 2 months time I'll have some handle on things.

We ate dinner in the upscale Heliopolis area of Cairo before heading to our apartments in the Dokki neighborhood near Giza and the Nile River. The Nile is huge and full of party boats!

Also, our apartments are awesome! We will be living here for a little over a week and then on to Alexandria! This is going to be something else. I don't know near enough Arabic and I don't think that I've quite realized the fact that I will be in Egypt until June!






That is a door to a balcony FYI. We are on the 9th floor.

1 comment:

  1. Your apartment looks awesome man. You'll get settled into a routine soon enough and then June will start to creep up on you unexpectedly. We miss you back here in Cincinnati! Stay safe, live it up, and have a great time, dude!

    ReplyDelete